Slendertone Ab Toning Belts
How It Works
Slendertone uses Electronic Muscle Stimulation (EMS) technology to create strong, deep, comfortable contractions in your muscles. It mimics the body's natural muscle movements; signals are sent between the pads, engaging the nerves that control your muscles and causing them to contract naturally. EMS technology has been used for over 40 years in hospitals, clinics and physical therapy practices around the world to strengthen and rehabilitate muscles.
Our abdominal toning products work by targeting not just the muscles you can see, but also the muscles that are more difficult to reach with conventional exercise. The rectus abdominis (abs), obliques (which shape the waist) and the transversus abdominis are all activated. This last is the deepest of the abdominal muscles and wraps around the abdomen like a corset. It is essential for stability in the lower back region and is very difficult to reach with conventional exercise.
It is a very important muscle group as it is fundamentally important for core strength and to protect the back from injury during lifting and heavy work.
Slendertone's sister company is Neurotech GmbH, based in Germany, a supplier of EMS and Transcutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulation (TENS) devices to physicians, patients and health insurance companies around the world to aid in muscle treatment and rehabilitation. The same sophisticated, medical-grade technology goes into all Slendertone products.
How To Get Toned
Fitting Slendertone products into your life is almost effortless. As with all exercise, it is important that you develop a consistent routine and increase the intensity as you become stronger. To make it as easy for you as possible, we recommend signing up for the 6 week plan to guide you.
If the results seem too good to be true, read our case studies, expert analysis and consumer testimonials to see how Slendertone products have worked for others.
"The first time that I used Slendertone, I was very surprised because it was working those muscles that I had been trying to work with crunches; I was really trying to develop and get stronger. I got the results that I really needed. It is easy and very convenient…throw it in a bag, be out on a walk or out on a jog and knowing that you are really working your mid-section and doing something good. I can think of nothing better than when your waist is nice and tight and you feel good. Feel good…play good…that’s my motto."
Jerry Rice – NFL, All time leading receiver
Your Slendertone product is indicated for the improvement of abdominal muscle tone, for strengthening of abdominal
muscles, and for the development of a firmer abdomen. Your Slendertone product is suitable for use by all healthy
adults; however, as with other forms of exercise, some care is needed when using it. Always follow the guidelines
below and read the instruction manual before use. Some of the points below are gender-specific.
Do not use if:
- You have an electronic implant (e.g. cardiac pacemaker or defibrillator - as your SLENDERTONE product may
interfere with the proper functioning of the implanted stimulator) or suffer from any other heart problem.
- You have any other form of abdominal implant. The safety has not been established for the use of electronic
muscle stimulators over abdominal implants.
- You are pregnant. The safety of electronic muscle stimulation (EMS) over the pregnant uterus has not been
- You suffer from cancer. The effects of electronic stimulation on cancerous tissue are unknown.
- You are under medical supervision for cognitive dysfunction as you may not be able to comply with
- The unit is in close proximity (e.g., 1 yard) to shortwave or microwave therapy equipment or you are connected to high-frequency surgical equipment (e.g. diathermy), because of the risk of device malfunction due to electronic interference.
- Wearing the device necessitates placement over areas at which drugs/medicines are administered (short-term or long-term) by injection (e.g., hormone treatments).
Wait before using your Slendertone product until:
- The long-term effects of chronic electronic stimulation are unknown.
- Unit Should not be used while sleeping, because you cannot react to safety information.
Get your doctor’s permission before using your Slendertone product if:
- At least 6 weeks after the birth of your baby. You must consult your doctor before use.
- One month after an IUD contraceptive device (e.g., coil) has been fitted. You must consult your doctor
- At least 3 months after having a Caesarean section. You must consult your doctor before use.
- The heavy days of your period have finished because vigorous abdominal exercise is not recommended at
- You wish to use your Slendertone product and have a bad back. You should also ensure the intensity is kept low.
- You have any serious illness or injury not mentioned in this guide.
- You have recently undergone a surgical procedure.
- You take insulin for diabetes.
- You want to use it on a young child.
- You suffer from muscle or joint problems.
- You use the unit as part of a rehabilitation program.
- Skin irritations and burns have been reported with the use of powered muscle stimulators.
- On very rare occasions, first-time users of EMS have reported feeling light-headed or faint. We recommend
that you use the product while seated until you become accustomed to the sensation.
Note: If you are in any doubt about using your Slendertone product for any reason, please consult your doctor before use. 1. Belt:
- For first time users, muscle stimulation can be an unusual sensation. We recommend that you begin in a seated position with low stimulation intensity settings to familiarize yourself with the sensation before progressing to higher intensity settings.
- Keep your unit out of the reach of children.
- The studs and GelPads must not be connected to other objects.
- Do not use your unit at the same time as any other device which transfers an electrical current
into the body (e.g., another muscle stimulator).
- Do not touch the GelPads or metal studs while the unit is switched on.
- Do not use while driving, operating machinery or cycling.
- The belt is for single person use only.
- Cease using your unit if you are feeling light headed or faint. Consult your doctor if this happens.
- Do not over exert yourself when using muscle stimulation. Any workout should be at a level comfortable
- Do not use your unit if you are wearing a belly-button ring. Remove the ring before you begin a session.
- Slendertone will not accept responsibility if the guidelines and instructions supplied with this unit are not followed.
Your belt has been ergonomically designed and is fastened around your waist, under your clothes, during use.
The female belt (E :10) fits waist sizes 24”-44” / 61-112cm. The male belt (X :10) fits waist sizes 27”-47”/69-
119cm. The belt has a pocket for holding your unit during use.2. Unit:
The unit generates signals which are sent, via the belt and pads, to your muscles to make them contract. Your unit is rechargeable and takes approximately three hours to charge fully.2a. Unit Connector:
This connects the unit to the toning belt. Make sure the unit is fully connected to the belt.IMPORTANT:
Do not disconnect the unit from the toning belt until it has been switched off.3. Pack of three adhesive pads.
These adhesive pads are placed onto your belt before use. When you wrap the belt around your waist, these pads
must be in contact with your skin so that signals can be sent to your muscles.4. Slendertone Battery Charger:
Plug the charger into an electrical outlet and then connect your unit to the charger to charge your unit’s battery.5. Instruction Manual:
This is your detailed guide to using your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS.6. Quick Start Guide:
This is an additional guide that you can use to help get you started.7. Slendertone Pouch:
Use this pouch to store your unit and belt between toning sessions.8. Slendertone Belt Extender:
Use this belt extender to increase the length of your belt when you need a few more inches. Unit Controls1. On/Off Button ( )
Press and hold this button for 2 seconds to turn your unit on or off. You may also pause the exercise by briefly pressing this button.2. Increase Toning Intensity ( )
Press and hold these buttons to increase the intensity of the exercise. The right-hand button controls the right-hand side of your belt. The left-hand button controls the left-hand side.3. Decrease Toning Intensity ( )
Press and hold these buttons to decrease the intensity of the exercise on either side of the belt.4. Program Button ( P )
Press this button to select the toning program you wish to use.5. Information Button ( i )
Press this button to see your training information, such as the maximum intensity for your current or last session and the number of sessions you have completed.Setting Up Your Slendertone System-AbsStep 1
- Charge the battery. Insert your charger into an electrical outlet and then connect your unit to it (Fig. a). It may take approximately 2-3 hours to fully
charge the battery. Your unit is fully charged when all three sections of the battery icon are full. The battery icon will flash when the battery is low and needs to be
Do not leave your unit connected to the charger when the battery is fully charged.Step 2
- Connect the unit to the belt. The unit and belt must be connected for your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS to work. Place the belt on a flat surface with the gold stitching facing you. ‘Click’ the unit connector into the belt connector.IMPORTANT:
Make sure the unit and belt are connected correctly or your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS will not work - this is a safety feature.Step 3
- Remove the covers from the patterned side of the pads and place the pads on the belt. Turn the belt over so that the 3 silver studs are facing upwards. Remove the three adhesive pads from their pack. There is 1 large square pad and 2 smaller oval pads. One side of each pad has a grid pattern on it while the other side is plain black.(i)
Remove the covers from the patterned side of the large pad.(ii)
Place the patterned side of this pad over the middle stud and between the white lines.(iii)
Now remove the covers from the patterned side of the two smaller pads.(iv)
Place the patterned side of the smaller pads firmly onto the belt, either side of the large pad.(v)
The location of the smaller pads depends on your waist size. In the example below, the smaller pads are placed nearest to the large, central pad. This is for a user whose waist size is female: 24-31”/ male: 27-34”. Use the sizing guidelines below to help you choose your correct pad location.IMPORTANT:
Before you progress, make sure that all three silver studs are completely covered by the pads. Press the edges of all three pads firmly onto the belt before use.Step 4
- Remove the covers from the black side of all three pads. Do not throw these covers away as you will need to put them back onto the pads at the end of your session.NOTE:
You should only use SLENDERTONE pads with your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS unit.Step 5
- Position the belt on your body.
Wrap the belt around your waist so that the pads are pressed firmly against your skin, positioning the large square pad over your navel (belly button). Stretch the ends of the belt around your waist until the small pads are between your hip bone and ribs on either side of your body. Fasten the belt tightly around your waist, but no so tight as to cause discomfort. The pads are water-based, so you may find they are cool when placed on your skin.You are now ready to begin using your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS.Your First Toning Session
Muscle toning can be an unusual sensation, but a pleasant one. It may tickle to begin with. We recommend that you use the product while seated until you become accustomed to the sensation.
This progresses to a smooth muscle contraction as the toning intensity increases. To get started, follow these simple steps:Step 1:
Press and hold the on/off button ( ) for two seconds to switch your
unit on.Step 2:
Select the program you wish to use by pressing the program button. Then to start the program, press and hold the increase intensity buttons until you feel your muscles contracting. Always choose an intensity level at which you feel a strong but comfortable contraction. This will vary from person to person. You should try to reach an intensity level of 15 or higher in your first session. The increasing intensity level is displayed on the screen.Step 3:
Continue increasing the intensity throughout the session if possible. You will feel the muscle contractions getting stronger as the intensity increases.
Remember the harder you work your muscles the better the results you will see, but always reduce the intensity if you feel any discomfort. Your unit’s intensity range is 0-99.PAUSING A SESSION
If you wish to pause a session before it is finished, simply press the on/off button briefly. The display will show that the unit is paused ( ?). To resume the session, briefly press the on/off button again. The display will return to its normal mode.Step 4: Session Over
At the end of the training session your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS will stop automatically. However, to switch
off your unit at any time during a session, press and hold the on/off button for two seconds. You should see the display turn off.Step 5:
Remove the belt and lay it on a flat surface. Put the covers back on the black side of the
pads. Store your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS safely in the pouch until your next session.NOTE:
Do not disconnect the unit from the belt without first switching the unit off, as this may result in
an error on your display.Congratulations on completing your first training session!NOTE:
We recommend that you do at least five training sessions per week to see the best results. You
should, however, only do one session per day on a single body area.Getting Results With Your Slendertone System-Abs
1. Use your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS 5 times a week.
2. Use the strongest training intensity you can - the harder you work your muscles, the better the results you will see. But remember, stimulation should never be uncomfortable.
3. Use your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS as part of a normal, healthy lifestyle. Improve your diet and try to increase the amount of exercise you do.
4. Your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS has 7 toning programs which are listed in the table below. There are 5 core programs and 2 bonus programs. We recommend that you begin with program 1 - Beginner. The unit will automatically progress you through each program up to program 5 - Pro.
Program 1 is set automatically when you switch your unit on for the first time. The display will show the program currently selected.
All programs have “warm up” and “warm down” phases. The warm-up prepares your muscles for the main part of your session. The warm down relaxes your muscles as the session is finishing - as you would when exercising.NOTE:
You cannot change a program during a session. You must first switch your unit off and then on again. Then you can select a different program by pressing the program button. Program 6 delivers a strong abdominal workout, which is useful for those involved in sports. Program 7 is lower in intensity and is useful when you require a less vigorous abdominal muscle workout.
5. Use your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS wherever it suits you.
You can use your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS almost any time and any place. You can use it at home watching television, working at a desk, in the garden or even walking outdoors. Your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS really is a convenient way of toning your abs.
6. To help you get the most from your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS, we recommend that you follow our 30 day plan. To follow this plan, use your belt 5 times a week for 4 weeks and record your highest intensity levels in your diary (pages 18-19). Each week you have two rest days to allow your muscles to recover.NOTE:
The intensity level will be different from person to person.
We recommend that you follow a similar plan, trying to push yourself to use higher toning intensity levels all the time. Try to increase your toning intensity from week to week. But remember, do not overexert yourself when using muscle stimulation. Any workout should be at a level comfortable for you.
FAQCan I use my unit for post natal exercises?
I can feel a tingling sensation in my legs during an exercise. What should I do?
- Yes, but you must wait a minimum of 6 weeks after childbirth before you begin using it and you must consult your doctor first.
- If you’ve had a Caesarean in the past 3 months, consult your doctor for approval before using the belt. The stimulation is uncomfortable. How can I improve this?
- Make sure the pads are positioned correctly and that they are pressed firmly against your skin - see page 6. Switch off your unit and reposition the belt if necessary.
- You can also spread a few drops of water on the black surface of the pads. This can improve the comfort of the muscle stimulation, but be careful not to get water on the unit. Ensure the unit is switched OFF before you do this!
- Ensure the metal studs are fully covered by the pads.
This indicates that the pads are over your hipbones. Moving the two smaller pads upwards and inwards on your waist (i.e. towards the centre of your body) should prevent this. Remember to pause or switch off your SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS before adjusting the belt or pads.My skin is red after the exercise. Is this a problem?
Will the product cause muscle soreness?
- Some redness of the skin after a toning session
is normal. It is partly due to an increase in the blood flow under the skin and should fade after a while. You may also experience some reddening of the skin due to the pressure of the belt. This is the same as the pressure marks you can get from tight clothing. You should not be concerned about this. It should fade soon after you remove the belt.
- If the redness is excessive, you may have the toning
intensity too high. This may increase the reddening in sensitive skin. Try using a lower toning intensity for a few days. If the problem persists, you should stop using the unit.
As with all exercise some muscle soreness can occur after using the belt. This is normal and should go away after a day or two. Use a low toning intensity for a few sessions if you are experiencing muscle soreness.How do I know when to replace the pads?
I can feel my waist muscles exercising but not my
- With time the pads pick up skin debris and may need to be replaced as this makes the workout less effective and less comfortable.
- You may notice the signal is weakening even if the batteries are OK. This usually indicates that the pads are wearing and will soon need replacing. You can check this by first adjusting the belt to ensure correct positioning of the pads. If the problem persists, try using the unit with a new battery pack. If the signal is still weak or uncomfortable, you should order new pads.
- New pads can be purchased online at www.slendertoneusa.com or from the SLENDERTONE Careline.
Pause the program and reposition the central pad slightly lower on your stomach. If this doesn’t help, move the 2 small pads to a smaller figure setting on the belt (towards the central pad).I can feel my stomach muscles exercising but not
my waist muscles.
Pause the program and reposition the central pads slightly higher on your stomach. If this doesn’t help, move the 2 smaller pads to a larger figure setting on the belt (away from the central pad).Battery performance has degraded significantly.
After an extended period of time you may notice a degradation in the performance of the battery in your unit. At this point you should purchase a new rechargeable battery pack. New rechargeable battery packs can be purchased through the SLENDERTONE Careline, or by visiting
www.slendertoneusa.com.How does muscle stimulation technology work?
SLENDERTONE SYSTEM-ABS uses electro muscle stimulation (EMS) technology. This technology has been used in hospitals and by physical therapists for over 50 years. Here is a summary of how EMS technology works. The special SLENDERTONE 3-pad design ensures that all of the abdominal muscles contract and not only those directly under the pads.
Signals are sent between the pads.
The signals switch on the nerves which control abdominal muscles
The nerves, in turn, cause your muscles to contract and relax rhythmicallyNOTE:
Your toning belt will not help you lose weight. For this you need to do some form of cardiovascular
exercise e.g. walking, cycling, swimming, jogging. However using your toning belt regularly will give you stronger, firmer, toned abs.Slendertone Ab Toning Belts